Canada Goose Privacy and Cookies Policy
Download the printable version in PDF format
Effective March 2023, version 2023 03 21
Categories of personal information we collect
We collect certain types of information from or about you throughout our interaction with you. This information often consists of things like your name, address, contact details and online identifiers. We use this information for the activities we have listed in the table below, including for us to provide our products, for marketing and reporting purposes and investigation of complaints.
|What we collect
The categories of information we collect about you includes:
|How and why we use it
We use this information for certain activities, including to:
|What is our legal basis to use it
We use this information because:
|Information that you give us when you make a purchase on our website or in order for us to set up and manage your account:||
|Information about the way you use our products and services:||
|Information when you communicate with us whether in person, through our website or via email, over the phone, through social media or via any other medium:||
|Information that we collect incidentally from other sources or public sources:||
|Information when you visit one of our physical stores:||
|Information that we collect when you attend one of our events in person:||
Email marketing communications – our email marketing will include press releases and information about us, our website, our products and services, any events we may hold and the offers and promotions we offer from time to time. Our marketing communications will include personalised and non-personalised marketing. Personalised marketing has been specifically tailored to you and will include content that we think is most relevant to you, based on what we know about you. Non-personalised marketing is marketing that is not tailored to you.
Online behavioural advertising - we and our third party partners may use your personal data that we have collected and other data that is collected through your interactions with third party websites and services to provide you with, and analyse the effectiveness of, personalised ads when you visit other websites and/or use other services (including the social media and other platforms described in the “social media retargeting” section below). By “personalised ads”, we mean advertisements for products and services that you have shown an interest in when you have used our website or which you otherwise might be interested in based on your browsing habits, although our third- party partners may use the data that is collected to show personalised ads for products and services offered by third parties.
Social media retargeting - If we advertise to you on social media and other platforms we share your email address (usually in an encrypted or ‘hashed’ form) with third-party providers of social media platforms and other services, such as Facebook and Google and other similar platforms (“Social Platforms”), so that the third party providers can try to “match” your data with the data of their registered users of their Social Platforms. This data may also be combined with personal data that is collected via cookies or pixels placed by Social Platforms on our website. Where there is a successful match, we will display our advertising to you when you use the relevant Social Platform (e.g. on your Facebook newsfeed). This is known as “custom audience” advertising, because we “customise” the audience that we want to reach on the relevant service. Some of the advertising that you see may be personalised to you. For more information about the cookies used by these Social Platforms and our partners, please see the Cookies section.
If we advertise to other people who share similar interests and characteristics to you, we will also provide your personal data to Social Platforms. If you are a user of those Social Platforms, we may ask the Social Platforms to find other registered users of their services who share similar interests and characteristics to you, which will be based on information that the third party holds about you and its other registered users. This is known as “lookalike” audience advertising because we are trying to show our advertising to people who “look like” you.
Please note that such activity is also subject to the privacy choices you have elected to make on such third-party services.
You can exercise control over how your personal information is used for advertising purposes by visiting http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/ and https://optout.aboutads.info/.
We will also use other tools provided by such Social Platforms and other advertising partners for the purposes of serving you with and measuring advertisements in different ways, including, search management platforms for managing campaigns, analytics services to understand how you interact with our content (including on the relevant Social Platforms), tools which allow us to understand whether you have purchased a product based on advertisements served to you on a Social Platform or otherwise and tools to serve you with our ads when you search on a Social Platform or other third party sites. Such activities may involve sharing your transaction data with the Social Platforms and other advertising partners, in addition to your hashed email address. For more information about the advertising partners and Social Platforms we use, please see our Cookies section.
In addition to the above, your personal information may also be processed if it is necessary on reasonable request by a law enforcement or regulatory authority, body or agency or in the defence of a legal claim. We will not delete personal information if relevant to an investigation or dispute. It will continue to be stored until those issues are fully resolved.
AUTOMATED DECISION MAKING
We may make automated decisions on certain matters. For example, we may do this to decide whether we can provide our products to you based on fraud detection and creditworthiness checks. This will be informed by verification of your information (including by third parties). Depending on the outcome of these checks, a decision will be reached automatically as to whether we are able to provide products to you.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE INFORMATION
Where we need to collect your personal information under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example to provide our products to you).
HOW LONG WE WILL KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will keep your personal information for as long as it is reasonably necessary considering the purposes for which your personal information has been collected. It will depend on factors such as whether you have any outstanding purchases or an account with us or have interacted with recent offers. For further information on how long we will keep your personal information, please contact our privacy officer at Privacyofficer@CanadaGoose.com.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
There are certain circumstances where we may transfer your personal data to affiliates, contractors and to other third parties:
- We may also share your information with certain contractors, service providers or advisors that help with our business operations (for example, order fulfilment, cloud services, fraud prevention, customer services, payment processing and marketing) and they may process your personal data for us. They are always required to meet our standards on processing information and security. The information we provide them with, including your information, will only be provided in connection with the performance of their function;
- We may share your information with delivery and courier companies who assist us in the delivery of our products to our customers;
- We may share your information with specialist marketing and CRM suppliers who assist us in managing our marketing database and sending out our email marketing communications and account-related communications;
- When we run events, we may share your information with third-party service providers that are assisting us with the operation and administration of that event. If we are running an event in partnership with other organisations, we may share your information with such organisations for use in relation to the event;
- We share personal data with external recruitment agencies and, in some instances, third-party providers that undertake background checks on our behalf and other entities within our group of companies;
- We share information with professional services firms who advise and assist us in relation to the lawful and effective management of our organisation and in relation to any disputes we may become involved in;
- We share information with law enforcement or other government and regulatory agencies or other third parties as required by, and in accordance with, applicable law or regulation;
- If we're discussing selling or transferring part or all of our business the information may be transferred to prospective purchasers under suitable terms as to confidentiality – or if sold, to buyers who can continue to provide products to you;
- We may also share your information where you have given us consent to do so or when we are otherwise required or permitted by law, for example by the Police or in defence of a legal claim.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF DATA
Some of the parties that collect your personal information and third parties (e.g. suppliers, service providers and affiliates) to which we may disclose your personal information may be located in countries outside the United Kingdom and/or European Economic Area. As a result, your personal information may be transferred to, stored and/or processed in such other countries, including on servers located in such other countries. This includes countries that offer a lower level of protection for your personal information than countries in the United Kingdom and/or European Economic Area.
Unless you have expressly consented to the transfer of personal information, the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or concluded in your interests or the transfer is otherwise permitted by applicable data protection laws we will only transfer your personal information to a country that is deemed to have an adequate level of protection under the applicable data protection law or otherwise where we have put in place adequate safeguards to protect the personal information. In particular where we send your personal information outside of the United Kingdom and/or EEA, we shall only do so where the recipient of the information is subject to:
- binding corporate rules;
- standard data protection clauses approved under applicable law;
- an approved code of conduct; or
- an approved certification mechanism.
The transfer of your information to Canada Goose International AG, a Swiss entity, is permitted on the basis of the European Commission's decision and/or the UK government’s decision that Switzerland provides an adequate level of protection for personal data. The transfer of your information to Canada Goose Inc, a Canadian entity, and our suppliers based in Canada, is permitted on the basis of the European Commission's decision and/or the UK government’s decision that Canada provides an adequate level of protection for personal data. We also store information on cloud servers located in the United States. The transfer of this information is governed by a contract including standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission and/or the UK data protection regulator the ICO, or by another approved safeguard.
COOKIES, WEB BEACONS, TAGS AND OTHER SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES
Our website (www.canadagoose.com) uses automatic data collection technology and services such as “cookies”, “web beacons”, “tags” and other similar technologies. A cookie is a small data file that is placed on the hard drive of your computer so that your computer will “remember” information when you visit a website. Web beacons and tags are small strings of code that are used in conjunction with a cookie and that allow us to record activity on our website. A web beacon allows us to capture certain additional types of information about a visitor's actions on a website, such as a visitor's cookie number, the time, date, duration and number of page views, a description of the page where the web beacon is placed, and details about any items that were purchased.
When you use our website, these technologies may record and collect personal information, such as information that identifies your computer, tracks your use of our website and collects certain information about you and your surfing habits. This information may include information that identifies your device, IP address, browser type and language preferences, and information about referring and exit pages and URLs, keywords, date and time, what sections of a website you visit, and other similar information concerning your use. This information is used for the purposes mentioned above and to help us serve you better by improving our website design, as well as our products, services, and promotions. We also use the technologies mentioned above to improve functionality of our website and user experience.
We use “first party cookies” and “third party cookies” in connection with our products and services. First party cookies are cookies placed by us to collect information about you. Third party cookies are cookies placed by third party website operators. Information about you collected by those third party cookies will be shared with the relevant third party. Please refer to the relevant third party website operator’s privacy notice for more details about the information they collect and how they use it.
Our website uses the following types of cookies (as further described in our Cookie Preference Centre):
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. You can set your browser to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site will not then work. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable information.
- Performance Cookies: These cookies allow us to count visits and traffic sources so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited our site and will not be able to monitor its performance.
- Functional Cookies: These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and personalisation. They may be set by us or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.
- Targeting Cookies: These cookies may be set through our site by our social platform and/or advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.
The specific (first and third party) Cookies that we use on our website can be found in our Cookie Preference Centre .
If you wish to block certain cookies (not just in respect of our site), you can also do so in the browser you are using by following the applicable link below:
- Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/block-or-allow-cookies
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
- Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- Safari: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042?locale=en_GB
Our website uses the web analytics service Google Analytics that is provided by Google, Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies”. The information generated by the cookie on your use of the platform will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. We have activated the so called “IP-anonymization” which means that your IP address will be truncated within the area of the European Union or the European Economic Area before being transferred to the United States. Only in exceptional cases the entire (i.e. non-truncated) IP address will be transferred to a Google server in the US and truncated there. Google will use this information on our behalf for the purpose of evaluating your use of the platform, compiling reports on platform activity and providing other services relating to platform and internet usage. Google does not provide us with data that we may link back particularly to you. Your truncated IP address that is transferred to Google will not be associated with any other data held by Google. You may refuse accepting cookies by selecting the relevant settings of your browser. However, please note that if you do so you may not be able to use the full functionality of the platform. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, you can visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Please note that any emails you receive from us may contain cookies to help us to see if recipients have opened an email and understand how recipients have interacted with it. Once you click on an email that contains a cookie, your contact information may subsequently be cross-referenced to the source email and/or the relevant cookie. If you have enabled images, cookies may be set on your computer or mobile device. Cookies will also be set if you click on any link within the email.
If you do not wish to accept cookies from any one of our emails, simply close the email before downloading any images or clicking on any links. You can also set your browser to restrict cookies or to reject them entirely. These settings will apply to all cookies whether included on websites or in emails.
In some instances, depending on your email or browser settings, cookies in an email may be automatically accepted (for example, when you've added an email address to your address book or safe senders list). Please refer to your email browser or device instructions for more information on this Personal information obtained through cookies, web beacons and tags may be shared with or obtained by third party service providers on our behalf in accordance with applicable laws (cf. the section immediately below). In that case, the processing of this personal information may also be subject to the privacy policies of these third-parties. We therefore highly recommend that you take due account of these privacy policies when using our website.
THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING PARTNERS
We use third-party service providers (including Social Platforms, as described above) to serve advertisements on our behalf across the internet. These advertising service providers may collect information about your visits to our website, and your interactions with our products and services. Such providers may place and access their own cookies, tags, web beacons or similar technologies on your computer or device used to access the website to serve you ads or other content personalized to your interests. In addition to the information about your visits to our website, our service providers may also use the information about your visits to other websites to target advertisements for products and services available from Canada Goose.
THIRD PARTY LINKS
Our website may contain links to other websites which are not under the control of Canada Goose. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our website and to read the privacy statements of each website to which we may link that may collect personal information.
We maintain technical, physical and administrative security safeguards to protect personal information against loss and any form of unlawful processing (such as theft and unauthorized access). Any personal information you provide to us is exchanged on a secure server. Furthermore, our website is secured by SSL-encryption to protect data from unauthorized access when transferring them over the Internet.
You may have certain rights in relation to your information including a right to access or to correct the information we hold on you. Some of these rights will only apply in certain circumstances however, such as the right to be forgotten or the right to request that we move your information to another company. They will generally not be available if there are outstanding contracts between us, if we are required by law to keep the information or if the information is relevant to a legal dispute. If you would like to exercise, or discuss, any of these rights, please contact our privacy officer at Privacyofficer@CanadaGoose.com.
- Right to withdraw consent: You can remove consent, where you have provided it, at any time, as well as update any of your opt-in marketing preferences by contacting us.
- Right of access: You are entitled to obtain from us details concerning the processing of your personal information and to receive a copy of the personal information we process about you (including in electronic form). Additional copies may be subject to a reasonable administrative fee.
- Right to rectification: You are entitled to have any incomplete and inaccurate personal information held by us rectified. If you have an account with our online store, you can log in and update your account information, including contact, billing and shipping information.
- Right to erasure ('to be forgotten'): In certain circumstances you are entitled to have personal information erased. If you request that we erase your personal information we shall advise you if we consider that there are on-going grounds permitting us to continue processing your information.
- Right to restrict processing: You can ask us to restrict the processing of personal information we hold about you in certain circumstances. We will advise you if we do not agree with your request to restrict processing and our reasons.
- Right to data portability: In certain circumstances you can ask us to help you move your information to other companies.
- Right to object: You are entitled to object to our collection, use of and otherwise processing of your personal information where the basis for the processing is our legitimate interests or the processing is in the public interest. You may object to processing for direct marketing purposes at any time.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right not to be subject to a decision when it is based on automatic processing, including profiling, if it produces a legal effect or similarly significantly affects you, unless such profiling is necessary for the entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us.
Canada Goose complies with applicable laws regarding unsolicited marketing messages (e.g., ‘spam’) and will not send you such messages in contravention of such laws. Our online store allows you to sign up and expressly consent to receiving electronic communications. We will ensure that each email includes an opt- out feature and instructions on how to un-subscribe if you no longer wish to receive future e-mails from us. To stop receiving these e-mails, you may also contact us through any of the methods available here or you can unsubscribe using the link included in the e-mail. If you have not expressly opted-in to receiving electronic marketing communications, we will only communicate with you if we are otherwise entitled to do so by applicable law.
Our website is not intended for use by children under the age of 18, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from such children through our website. If you are under 18, please do not give us any personal information. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of such a child we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
HOW TO CONTACT US - CANADA GOOSE PRIVACY OFFICER
We welcome your feedback. If you have any questions about this policy please contact Canada Goose’s Chief Privacy Officer at: Privacyofficer@CanadaGoose.com.
|Entity||Contact Details||Controller Activity|
|Canada Goose Inc.||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: 250 Bowie Ave, Toronto, ON, M6E 4Y2||Head office (controller of most activities described in this notice)|
|Canada Goose EU BV.||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: Pieter Cornelisz. Hoofstraat 29 H, 1071 BM Amsterdam||E-ecommerce (controller of data collected and processed online)|
|Canada Goose France Retail SAS||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: 14 rue Royale 75008, Paris et, 283 rue Saint Honore, 75008, Paris||Instore (controller of data collected and processed in relation to local in-store interactions)|
|Canada Goose Italy Retail S.r.l||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: Milan (MI) via A. Manzoni 28 CAP 20121||Instore (controller of data collected and processed in relation to local in-store interactions)|
|Canada Goose UK Retail Limited||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: Devonshire House, Mayfair Place, London, W1J 8AJ, United Kingdom||Instore (controller of data collected and processed in relation to local in-store interactions)|
|Canada Goose Germany Retail GmbH||Email: PrivacyOfficer@canadagoose.com Mail: C/O Intertrust GmbH, Eschersheimer Landstrasse 14, 60322, Frankfurt Am Main||Instore (controller of data collected and processed in relation to local in-store interactions)|